About Mischa Estate
The first fact about Mischa Estate is that it is a 3rd generation, artisanal family wine farm and vine nursery located in the unique Groenberg (Green Mountain) appellation close to Wellington in the Western Cape province of South Africa. Initially bought, because of the Estate’s view of Table Mountain all the way from Wellington, Mischa Estate has gone from strength to strength in both wine and vine production.
Mischa Estate wines are highly awarded, recognized both locally and internationally, and enjoyed by wine lovers across the globe.
Where we are now
Recognised as a top artisanal wine farm in South Africa, Mischa Estate wines continuously receives revered accolades including, but not limited to:
- John Platter
- Novare SA Terroir Awards
- WineMag.co.za’s Prescient Report – Top 10
- Sommelier’s Selection
For a full list of Mischa Estate’s accolades, please contact us directly by emailing us at: email@example.com.
While producing award-winning wines, Mischa Estate continues to consult on and supply nursery vines to South Africa’s leading wine farms. This has solidified Mischa Estate as a player with extensive viticultural knowledge of the South African terroirs.
The Mischa Estate farm was bought just after the Second World War in 1947 with the winery founded in 1999 by Andrew Barns, the current master wine maker of Mischa Estate Wines and great-grandson of the Estate’s initial proprietor.
Yvonne Barns, grandmother to Andrew Barns, who danced with the Russian “Ballet Russe”, named the farm after her dance partner Mikael (Mischa) and Michael, a family friend and fighter pilot who lost his life in the war.
An interesting fact about Mischa Estate is that it is one of the largest vine nurseries in the Southern Hemisphere, and our knowledge spans across the vine growing and wine making process, from grafting new vines to bottling exceptional wines.
- Mischa Estate is run by brothers, Andrew (owner of Mischa Estate Wines) and Gary (owner of Mischa Nursery),
- The winery was founded by Andrew Barns in 1999,
- Table Mountain is visible directly from Mischa Estate,
- The matriarch of the Mischa Estate legacy was a ballet dance with the Ballet Russe,
- Groenberg is the youngest, smallest and most sought after appellation in the Cape Winelands,
- Mischa Estate produces four ranges of wines,
- Often, winemaker Andrew Barns, will work on wines outside of the ranges, resulting in some exceptional, once-off wines.